Thursday, May 20, 2010

Labor and Delivery

Ok so I decided to write a post about my labor and delivery because I've realized the details are starting to slip away and I never want to forget it!

It started VERY quickly on Sunday. Eric and I decided to have a lazy day since it was raining, so we settled in on the couch and started watching a movie around 4:00 PM. Well about 5 minutes into it my water broke. I always thought I wouldn't know that my water had broken and would be hesitant to go to the hospital, but I was POSITIVE. It kind of freaked me out because I had pictured my labor starting with me counting contractions all day or night and then deciding to go to the hospital when they got close together and calmly getting our things together. Well all I can say is I am glad I packed our bags before hand because we were in the car and on the way to the hospital in about 5 minutes. It was so gross...it gushed and gushed and didn't stop. When we arrived at the hospital I told the nurse that my water broke but I hadn't been having any contractions, so she took us to a recovery room and gave me a gown to change into. Well while I was changing she came in and saw that there was no doubt that my water had broken and she took us to a delivery room. She checked me and I was dialated 4 cm. I started having contractions and they didn't take long to get really painful. It was awful! I told her I wanted my epidoral ASAP but she had to do blood work and send it to the lab before I could get it, so it would be about a hour. She gave me some Demerol to ease the pain and it made me LOOPY! I have never felt so weird. But then it either stopped working or my contractions just got too intense because I was in the worst pain I can imagine...and I was still super loopy. Weird combination. I have no clue what was taking Mr. Anesthesiologist so long, but when he finally came in with my Epidoral four hours later I was dialated 8 cm. After that I felt great, pain free and the Demerol effect had worn off. I quickly progressed but I told the nurse that I wanted to try to wait for my mom to get there before we started pushing. She had to drive from Georgia, but she made it on time! Right when she got there the nurse said to start pushing. I couldn't feel anything so I was a little confused on how I was going to pull this off. She said I was doing it right, so I just took her word for it. I pushed for about 15 minutes and then she called the doctor in. I pushed with him for about 5 minutes and Maggie was here! From the time my water broke to the time she was born was about 7 hours. I couldn't have asked for a better labor!



We got to come home Tuesday night. We've had a really relaxing couple of days. Maggie sleeps great and is eating good now. She just chills in her bouncer most the day!


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Sarah!! She is totally adorable! I know you and Eric are so in love with her! Make sure to sleep when she sleeps even though there are a million other things to do while shes napping. Seriously, she is adorable!! Keep the pictures coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you'd have any easy delivery! Congratulations! She is precious with her chubby little cheeks!

    ReplyDelete